Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The myth of rural silence.

One of the funny parts of being in a remote tropical location is the lack of silence. I think I have grown accustomed to the silence of my home, my car, my life in general that I take for granted the lack of sounds. Here there is no lack of noise.

The symphony of sounds in a typical 24-hour cycle include:
_ungodly loud animals at night. so loud it can be difficult to fall asleep. frogs, crickets, unknown night creatures.
_the generator coming on, or going off - depending.
_the fan in our room rotating its blade and then clanging side to side.
_buzzing of mosquitos and flies.
_cell phones ringing
_swish-swishing of brooms made of palm trees brushing the leaves off the dirt paths and sweeping the veranda
_roosters crowing on the porch in the morning and from under yam leaves in the middle of rain storms
_the rain pounding
_the thunder clapping
_the power of the wind rustling through the leaves
_motors of boats whirring by
_okadas (motorbikes) chugging along the pedestrian path
_kids playing, sometimes laughing sometimes crying
_voices yelling, sometimes friendly, sometimes not so friendly
_wheelbarrows full of sand and tools bouncing along the gullies in the muddy path
...and today: the deafening sound of a chainsaw outside the glass doors of our makeshift studio space preventing me from even being able to read.

Perhaps I should invest in earplugs. Or just be grateful that I know what silence sounds like. And laugh about the fact that many people think 'rural' and assume quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment